Tuesday, October 14, 2008

MOST UNDER-REPRESENTED GROUP OF ALL


When it comes to under-representation, likely the most ignored segment of our society are those living in the rural areas of our great nation. Who are the rural folks? The Daily Yonder, a rural advocacy group, is my favorite source of news and information when contemplating rural issues. I've thought long and hard about small-town life and rural America this election season. There was a time when I turned my back on my small-town roots, happy to be rid of what I once saw as silly and ignorant "one-horse" town. Ironically, it wasn't until I moved to Chicago (the 3rd largest city in the US) that I finally realized how lucky I had been. Particularly one day when I had to physically fight off a mugger attempting to rob a friend of mine (but that's another story). Years later, I returned to Florida and after bringing my son into the world, I looked for a small town to raise him (and later my second son as well). I was recently back in my small town of Bonifay, Florida where I grew up for the annual "Championship Rodeo" which is always just an excuse to go back home, see my parents, brother and his family, and take my kids to play with their cousins. There is a sense of safety and belonging in Bonifay. There is great comfort having skills that none of my city-dwelling friends have. Like knowing I can fish, hunt, farm, and make a living off the land if I ever had to. I think that is why I often can take swings in the market or "economic" disaster in stride because I know I could survive and feed my family without a Government handout (or even without a Government) no matter what may happen. When back for the rodeo, we always watch the parade (which is held on Friday and Saturday afternoon). We sit out on the front lawn of my grandparents home (which is still in the family) and wait for the fire engines to start up which typically are what begins the parade. You see every business, church, civic group, and school represented in floats that go by, all of them homemade and hilarious to see. For me, small towns represent true hope, family, goodness, virtue, truth and honesty, integrity, and a straight forward sense of knowing who you are. It always makes me smile when city-dwelling politicians try to either pander to the small-town vote (thinking all those from small towns are simple minded imbeciles) or being critical of traditions they cannot understand (spiritual values, Gun-ownership, or hunting rights) and disparaging them by labeling small town people as "bitter." It makes me really smile to know that if society collapses, the economy goes to nothing, and the cities are burning from rioting, Bonifay and thousands of small towns like it, will continue because of the very traditions, values, and people that make them great now.

In celebration of small towns everywhere, here are my two favorite songs about small towns, enjoy!



Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Griffin said...

In October of 2007 we moved from Ft.Lauderdale to Bonifay, being new to the area is a bit different than having family that has been established here for years, still an outsider. Your article expressed many of the thoughts I have had for a long time regarding "small towns". All I need now is an "ol time granny" to show me how and what to plant when. Being off the grid as much as possible and being self sufficient is my idea of heaven. We are working towards that goal.

Sir said...

Thanks Griffin, you're a fellow kindred spirit. Anyone who would move from Ft. Lauderdale to Bonifay deserves a hardy handshake from me. Peace!

Melanie said...

What great memories this brought back to me. Growing up in Bonifay truly was a special thing wasn't it?

Share

Bookmark and Share